5.1.06

Day 12




05 January 2006

It’s going to be hard to write “2006” everytime for the next week or so. I’m still not yet there. Yesterday was a perfect time to think. I think I needed to do some thinking, and getting away to Atami and the Yuuyuukan Onsen was what I needed. I hope it’s warmer in Cali.

Yesterday was onsen, ping pong/air hockey, and karaoke. I can’t really sing, but it was great to see my dad, my uncle, and three of my aunts singing along with classic Japanese songs from their past. That my dad left in the 70s is pretty apparent when you see the choice of songs that my dad chose compared to those that the others chose. The drive up was pretty bad, we hit traffic all along the coast on the way out to Atami. There’s no coherent network of free or toll-ways in Japan. It’s all pretty much run by private companies, thus, the highways are build where companies will make the most money. Inefficient and so not like California or the US. I’m glad that we have a full network of freeways and now we are “filling in gaps.” It beats the haphazardly-planned network of roads they have here.

Today we went to a part of Atami city, to a famous ryokan (Japanese-style hotel) and to Odawara-jyo (Odawara Castle). They were both interesting places. Sensei had once stayed at the ryokan. The castle was a re-creation, but it had interesting relics from the time period of the castle.

It was nice spending time with my uncle and aunts. They are all rather unique, though of the same family, each has their own unique personality. The two Nojiri sisters have similar personalities, while Secchan seems to be the one that brings others together. My dad and Minoru ojisan seem to be pretty similar-minded as well.

I wish I would have more time here in Japan to go exploring and to visit family. It might not be possible to take that much time off any time soon, so I hope I can meet them next time I come. Hopefully that will be as a Jet.

No comments: